Printed Matter, a non-profit dedicated to the distribution, understanding, and appreciation of artists’ books and related publications, seeks an energetic, organized, and detail-oriented Part-Time, Temporary Benefit Coordinator (April 1 to July 30) to support our June 2023 spring benefit event and online auction. The Coordinator will support communications with galleries, artists and buyers; the coordination around pick up and shipping of artworks; detailed record keeping and spreadsheet management; as well as provide soup-to-nuts support of an in-person benefit dinner.
This role will work both remotely and on-site at Printed Matter Chelsea needs depending. The Benefit Coordinator reports to the Deputy Director / Director of Development. The hourly rate is $24/hour. Weekly schedule will vary, beginning at 2-3 days a week and potentially increasing to 4-5 in late May/early June as the event date approaches.
Auction Artist & Gallery Coordination
• Collect details around donated artworks from artists and galleries through Google forms and other methods, perform follow up as needed to secure information
• Keep spreadsheets with artwork details updated and error free
• Maintain a file system for auction documents, including images of works and contracts
• Monitor email correspondence around artwork donations, prompting action from PM staff (ED, Operations Manager, etc.) as needed
Auction Shipping Coordination
• Coordinate with artists and galleries around the shipping of artworks
• Make pick ups and drop offs of artworks as necessary (transporting from studios and galleries to Printed Matter for shipping), using public transportation or ride services for large works
• Work with PM staff to receive and store donated works at Printed Matter Chelsea
• Coordinate with buyers to secure shipping information and keep buyer updated with timeline and tracking information
• Support in the coordination of shipping logistics, including securing appropriate insurance for each artwork on behalf of buyer
• Keep spreadsheets with shipping information updated and error free
Auction & Benefit Social Media Coordination
• Support social media efforts, keeping a schedule of posts and acting as a liaison between the development department and the social media team
Benefit Event Support
• Provide general administrative support, including tracking ticket sales and donations, creating acknowledgement letters and light donor correspondence around event updates
• Provide logistical support for an in-person benefit dinner and after party, including assisting with guest check-in and event set-up/break down
• Provide social media coordination as noted above
• A passion for Printed Matter’s mission and an interest in non-profit arts organizations
• At least four years work experience, ideally in the art and culture sector and preferably in development/special events
• Strong organizational skills and high attention to detail
• Strong computer skills, including experience with data/spreadsheet management and maintenance; familiarity with Airtable and InDesign is a plus
• Strong written and verbal communication skills; must be able to communicate professionally and amicably with gallery staff, registrars, shipping companies, buyers, donors, and artists
• Thrives in fast paced environments; must be able to make quick decisions and problem solve in the moment to accommodate last minute changes, requests and challenges
• Must be able to lift heavy objects up to 50 lbs
• Must be able to sit at a computer for extended periods of time
• Must be able to use various transportation methods such as public transportation and ride services for pick up and drop off of artworks (related expenses to be reimbursed)
Printed Matter provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants and does not tolerate discrimination and harassment of any type concerning race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or expression. Printed Matter is dedicated to bringing greater diversity to its staff and highly encourages individuals from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
To apply, please send a brief cover letter and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and note “Benefit Coordinator” in the subject line.